History of the Old Post Office

Construction started in 1873 and the Old Post Office and Customs House was completed in 1879. The Old Post Office was designed by A.B. Mullett and Company in the Richardsonian Romanesqe style; featuring round arches, stone masonry and towers. This building, like many other historical downtown buildings was built by Charles Pearce and Company. In 1971, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places.

Today, the Old Post office is being restored to it’s glory. Many of the improvements you see in this room are actually refurbished original elements.

The crown molding on the NW 2nd Street side was finished by the same group that helped restore the West Baden hotel. Marble in the bathrooms was repurposed after being moved from another area of the building. The “Picture windows” are created from photographs that were found at Willard Library. Some of the columns in the room were found buried in the walls that had been added over the years.